Brushing your teeth daily isn’t just to maintain good oral hygiene, but your overall health as well. This has been backed by various oral research and studies to the point where it simply cannot be ignored anymore.
In 2016, scientists discovered that brushing your teeth on a regular basis could reduce the chances of developing Alzheimer’s disease after it was pointed out that gum disease speeds up mental decline six times.
However, in order to ensure your teeth and gums are being efficiently taken care of, dentists recommend you use an electric toothbrush. But it would be better for you to opt for one from a top-quality brand as they are gentle to your teeth and gums, easy to maneuver and improves your overall brushing technique.
So let’s get down to business and see some of the most effective electric toothbrushes recommended by the world’s top oral health experts:
1. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Deep Clean
Philips Sonicare has long since been touted and proven as one of the leaders in oral health care and is backed by more than 140 clinical publications around the world. So if any brand knows a thing or two about electric toothbrushes, it most certainly is Sonicare and the DiamondClean Deep Clean is a testament to that recognition.
The DiamondClean product is not only good looking but also delivers an unbeatable tooth cleaning performance. Its AdaptiveClean brush head, now featuring the Deep Clean mode for an invigorating clean, can remove up to 10 times more plaque and grant healthier gums in two weeks than any manual toothbrush.
Other notable features include:
- 5 Cleaning Modes: DiamondClean features up to five cleaning modes, including White, Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive and Deep Clean.
- Clinically Proven Safe and Gentle: It is safe to use on braces, dental restorations (fillings, crowns, veneers) and periodontal pockets.
- Two-Minute Timer: This function keeps track of the brushing time ensuring a recommended regime is being followed and turns the brush off when brushing is complete.
- Quadpacer Interval Timer: The interval timer informs you after 30 seconds when you have completed each quadrant of your mouth before moving to the next, offering a more consistent cleaning of your mouth.
2. Oral-B Genius Pro 8000
Oral-B’s new Genius 8000 can pair with your smartphone and enable Position Detection, which is a facial recognition feature that helps you know where you’ve brushed so you never miss a zone. Its 2-minute timer lets you brush with the right amount for each zone.
The Focused Care feature lets you input your dentist’s recommendations via customizable brushing plans for key focus areas.
The Dental Care Journeys feature allows you to follow a pre-programmed routine that is in line with your oral care goals.
- Genius 8000’s customizable multicolor SmartRing gives you real-time on brushing time and pressure to ensure you brush according to your doctor’s recommendations.
- There are 6 cleaning modes that let you brush based on your needs, including Gum Care, Sensitive, Daily Clean, Tongue Cleaning, Whitening and Pro-Clean Mode.
- The toothbrush’s pressure sensor technology automatically slows down brush speed and usually alerts you to protect your teeth against overbrushing.
- Smart Travel Case lets you charge your toothbrush and your smartphone at the same time.
3. Oral-B PRO 2 2000N
Not only is the Oral-B PRO 2 2000N delivers professional dentist-approved cleaning results, but it is also rechargeable and fairly-priced at that. Its round head contours to each tooth that leads to cleaner teeth and healthier gums compared to a manual toothbrush.
The Pro 2 2000N’s pressure control feature lowers brushing speed and lets you know if you’re brushing too hard. It includes a state of the art Lithium-Ion battery that remains operable for two weeks. This way, you won’t have to worry about charging if you’re on holidays for the weekends.
- Removes plaque up to 100% and the roundhead design is more comfortable for your gums.
- The pressure sensor alerts you if you brush too hard.
- Gently starts whitening your teeth from day 1 by removing surface stains.
- 2 brushing modes: daily clean and gum care
4. Philips Sonicare 2 Series
The Philips Sonicare 2 Series may be a standard electric toothbrush with a minimalist design, but it is certainly guaranteed to remove more plaque with its single-brushing mode, quad pacer and two-minute timer than any manual toothbrush available.
It is compatible with a wide range of brush heads, including the ProResults plaque control head. You can especially get brush heads with softer bristles designed for sensitive teeth.
Like with other Sonicare toothbrushes these days, the 2 Series uses sonic technology that delivers up to 31,000 brush strokes per minute. Fortunately, the toothbrush is gentle and safe on dental work, orthodontics, veneers and implant material.
- Smartimer uses 2 minutes of brushing as recommended by dentists
- Removes 6 times more plaque than manual toothbrushes.
- The gap between the handle and the brush head gives more room for the brush head to move accordingly.
- The easy-start feature slowly increases power after the first 14 uses, making the switch to Sonicare easier.
As our second lead editor, Anna C. Mackinno provides guidance on the stories Great Lakes Ledger reporters cover. She has been instrumental in making sure the content on the site is clear and accurate for our readers. If you see a particularly clever title, you can likely thank Anna. Anna received a BA and and MA from Fordham University.