When it comes to getting enough fiber, many of us fall short. That’s because the average American eats less than half the recommended daily amount of fiber. But there are plenty of high-fiber foods out there to help you get the nutrients you need to feel full and keep things moving.
- Tofu is made from soybeans and is rich in protein, which helps keep blood sugar levels steady. Brown rice is a great source of carbohydrates. In addition to keeping energy levels up, carbs give your body energy for digestion, too. Green peas are another excellent source of carbohydrates and protein, as well as vitamins A, C and K.
- Apples are an excellent source of fiber, as well as vitamins C and K. Blueberries are another great food with a high fiber content; they’re also an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Both bananas and oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, which protects against cell damage in the body that can lead to cancer, stroke, and other diseases. In addition to fiber, both fruits contain compounds called pectin that help move things along naturally.
- Nuts and seeds are great sources of fiber and other nutrients. Almonds are loaded with calcium and magnesium, which help prevent muscle cramps from exercising or working out. Cashews are rich in protein, potassium, iron and B vitamins — good for energy levels — plus zinc for stronger bones and muscles. Pistachios contain the mineral manganese, which helps your body break down carbs and fats for energy — plus vitamin K for strong bones — and copper for strong connective tissue.
- One way to get extra fiber is by eating more foods that come in wrappers — including vegetables, whole grains, cereals and nuts. Fiber is often found in the skin, so make sure you keep that on before you throw away. This will add calories — another reason to consider it a treat option.
Tiesha loves to share her passion for everything that’s beautiful in this world. Apart from writing on her beauty blog and running her own beauty channel on Youtube, she also enjoys traveling and photography. Tiesha covers various stories on the website.