The first, second, and now third waves have made one thing very clear: the speed with which the COVID-19 test results are obtained is critical in its diagnosis and treatment.
Researchers at George Washington University (GW) have uncovered a game-changing finding.
The researchers created a blood test that identifies COVID-19 rapidly and predicts how strongly the immune system would respond to the infection.
The work was published in the journal ‘PLOS One.’
The results might one day lead to the development of a solid tool to assist clinicians in determining the optimum treatment approach for persons with COVID-19.
There is no reliable technique to forecast how the immune system will react to the virus that causes COVID-19 or other disease-causing microorganisms.
The immunological response may vary from minor symptoms to extremely severe symptoms, resulting in the intensive care unit or even death.
The GW researchers analyzed whole blood RNA from COVID-19 patients with symptoms ranging from asymptomatic to severe to learn about the diversity in symptoms and prognosis.
However, These Four might Make You Sick
According to new study, four main characteristics may enhance your chances of acquiring lengthy COVID.
What are the four warning signs?
These variables were discovered in individuals who eventually had long-term COVID-19 symptoms.
Research shows a link between the variables and extended COVID, even if the infection is modest.
The top four factors are as follows:
- The viral load in a person’s blood
- The presence of specific autoantibodies, which are often utilized to fight the virus and its effects.
- The Epstein-Barr virus’s reactivation is known to infect children at an early age.
- The patient has Type 2 diabetes.
These people may be at a disadvantage from the start. They may also respond somewhat differently to infections, leading to a mistaken immune response, as Dr. Onur Boyman, an immunology researcher at University Hospital Zurich, commented on the four criteria.
It is critical to identify these elements because if these pathways are proven, we as physicians may create therapies to make patients well.
Extended COVID Symptoms
There are a variety of symptoms that may occur with a COVID-19 infection.
The following are examples of long-term COVID symptoms:
- exhaustion to the extreme/fatigue
- chest tightness or discomfort in the chest lack of breath
- memory and concentration issues are a concern (“brain fog”)
- having trouble sleeping/insomnia
- palpitations in the heart
- pins and needles
- joint discomfort
- depression and anxiety
- tinnitus, earaches, and other symptoms
- feeling unwell, diarrhea, stomach pains, and a lack of appetite
- temperatures over 100.04 grade Fahrenheit, coughing, headaches, sore throat, changes in the sense of smell or taste, rashes
Doris’s passion for writing started to take shape in college where she was editor-in-chief of the college newspaper. Even though she ended up working in IT for more than 7 years, she’s now back to what he always enjoyed doing. With a true passion for technology, Doris mostly covers tech-related topics.