How To Get Your Focus Back When You’re Stressed And Overwhelmed
It’s not always easy to get a grip on life when you’re feeling stressed, overwhelmed and frantic. But it’s possible to find your focus again. Here are some tips that can help you regain your composure and feel better:
1. Take a few seconds to breathe deeply, in through your nose and out through your mouth. Focus on the sensation of each breath as it enters and leaves your body. Inevitably, thoughts will come into your mind. When they do, allow them to pass by without judgment or criticism; simply return to counting your breaths.
2. Write down what is most important to you. This may be family, work, faith or some other aspect of your life that is important to you. Refer to this list when you need guidance or reassurance about what is really important in life.
3. Write down all the things that are not as important as what is on the first list but consume too much of your time and attention right now anyway — small distractions that take up a lot of space in our minds but don’t really matter in the long run. Maintaining these items on a list will help you deal with them one by one over the course of a day or two, instead of at once.
4. Start small. Don’t try to tackle every task in one day. Pick one thing that needs to get done: paying bills or cleaning out your inbox, for example. Once that’s done, reward yourself by doing something fun or relaxing — watch your favorite show or read a book.
5. Set deadlines for yourself. Even if you don’t have an actual deadline (for example, paying your bills doesn’t have a specific time frame), giving yourself a deadline can help motivate you more than just telling yourself “I should really clean out my inbox today.”
Tiesha loves to share her passion for everything that’s beautiful in this world. Apart from writing on her beauty blog and running her own beauty channel on Youtube, she also enjoys traveling and photography. Tiesha covers various stories on the website.