Keep Your Brain Sharp With These Foods
As you age, your brain shrinks. But it doesn’t have to.
Getting the right nutrients at the right time can help slow its decline.
Here are some of the best brain foods to help you keep your mind sharp as you age:
- Fish and nuts: Fish is high in omega 3 fatty acids and studies show that they can help improve memory and slow cognitive decline. Fat is essential for normal brain development and function. Walnuts are rich in antioxidants and help promote blood flow to the brain. Nut consumption has also been linked with lower levels of depression among older people.
- Blueberries: Blueberries are rich in antioxidants called flavonoids that help protect the brain from free-radical damage, which is associated with memory loss. These are one of the best antioxidant-rich fruits out there and are loaded with anthocyanins, flavonoids and phenolic acids which help boost memory and cognitive skills in older adults. Blueberries can also slow down mental decline by preventing neurodegeneration in the brain cells and delaying the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Green tea: Green tea helps improve memory and protect it from decline as well as blocking the enzymes that break down acetylcholine, a chemical involved in learning and forming memories.
- Red wine: Red wine contains resveratrol, a compound that has been shown to boost memory, learning, motor skills and attention in aging rats.
- Oily fish: Salmon, tuna, mackerel and trout are rich in omega 3 fatty acids that promote nerve cell growth and brain health.
- Avocados: Avocados have an abundance of healthy fats, called oleic acid, which is responsible for boosting memory. In fact, oleic acid can help improve brain function by increasing blood flow to the brain. Avocados also contain vitamin K and glutathione which can reduce oxidative stress on the brain and protect it from damage.
Tiesha loves to share her passion for everything that’s beautiful in this world. Apart from writing on her beauty blog and running her own beauty channel on Youtube, she also enjoys traveling and photography. Tiesha covers various stories on the website.